Modern Day Busybody


Last night, as I was tucking in my children, my mind was racing with all the stuff that was pouring through my newsfeed and in comments I read on Facebook.

I sighed and muttered to my 3 year old, "I'm such a busybody."

Immediately 2 Thes. 3:11 came to mind.
For we hear that some among you walk in idleness, not busy at work, but busybodies.

Then, there's 1 Timothy 5.
While those verses refer to widows young and old, it does discuss how the young widows left to their own passions become idle and busybodies, gossips.

Now, I think Facebook is great.  It helps me stay on contact with friends and family over great distances.  It's an easy source to get a hold of someone, schedule events, make plans, and it's great for small businesses and cottage industries.

The problem is with me, and ease of sinfulness in the media age.
It is so easy to scroll through my newsfeed and see what everyone is up to.  I don't check in on my friends, I just see what they post.
The provocative is more eye-catching and interesting than goodness and truth.
News and articles use click-bait pictures and titles, and I allow myself to be sucked in.
I like to discuss things deeply, but have shallowed myself to arguments and comments with people who don't care about my opinion and are just as trapped by the busybody life as I am.

While I try to avoid this, there's often a large number of people (women mostly) who post cryptic, attention-seeking posts of trouble in their lives.

That just draws in and adds to the gossip and busybody life.

Before I know it, I have collectively spent hours of my life wasted on Facebook to little greater purpose.

My mind and heart are cluttered with matters outside of my realm.
It is of no benefit to me to be upset about the latest headline of celebrity shenanigans.
It is of no use to me forming arguments and rebuttals in my head over an article of great foolishness.
I do not have to attend every argument I am invited to.
I do not have to comment on everything that comes through my newsfeed.

One thing I tell my children is that they don't have to say everything that pops into their heads without filter and consideration.

The sames goes for me on Facebook.

Hi, my name is Kate, and I am a Facebook Busybody.
Time to end that idleness and be free.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's Here!

I'm sorry, but I just have to gripe...